Xarelto is an anti-coagulant. Its generic trade name is Rivaroxaban. It is used in the prevention of blood clots from forming as a result of irregular heartbeat or atrial fibrillation. The danger of blood clotting is present especially post knee or hip replacement surgery. It is also used in the treatment of pulmonary embolism or deep vein thrombosis conditions. It prevents the blood clots from forming and recurring. Its mechanism of action is the blockage of specific clotting proteins in the blood system.
However, Xarelto has various side effects on a patient.
Xarelto Side Effects
- Nausea – You may end up vomiting also.
- Stomach Bleeding – This is a serious and common side effect associated with Xarelto. It can often cause stomach bleeding that could be fatal if not treated in time. Xarelto may cause bleeding in the stomach when taken along with heavy alcohol consumption. It is better to limit the amount of alcoholic beverages. It is safe if you do not exceed a couple of pegs of alcohol per day.
- Bleeding in Gums – This may happen when a person taking Xarelto brushes his or her teeth. It is better to use soft toothbrushes while you brush your teeth in order to avoid bleeding from gums.
- Nose Bleeding – You could also avoid participating in contact sports so that the risks are educed of falling and injuring yourself.
- Easy Bruising – Bruises may appear for no apparent reasons. It is better to avoid chances of cuts and bruises on account of injuries. You could exercise caution when you are using sharp objects such as nail cutters and safety razors when you take Xarelto. It is wiser to use electric razors when you are shaving.
- Damage to Kidney
- Blood in Urine – You have to consult your physician without any delay if you have dark brown or red urine coloration. You may have to check your stool too if it is red, black or tarry.
- Dry Cough – This could be accompanied by bleeding from the throat.
- Increased fluid drainage from the site of surgery
- Haemorrhage – Injuries to the head could be dangerous for reason of internal haemorrhage.
- Abnormal functioning of liver as per tests and reports
- Upper Abdominal Pain with internal bleeding
- Accumulation of blood in the skull (in its subdural region)
- Normal bile flow blockage
- Decrease in the number of platelets in the blood
- Giant hives
- Deficiency in granulocytes that are a kind of white blood cells
- Epidural hematoma in the spinal cord
- Stevens – Johnson syndrome
- Stroke that may be caused by internal bleeding in the brain
- Yellowing of the eyes, followed by the skin
- Excessive menstrual flow in women
Less Severe Xarelto Side Effects
- Tingling Feeling – This may feel like you are on pins and needles.
- Breathing Trouble
- Muscle Spasms
- Throat Pain
- Congestion and irritation of the sinuses
- Urinary tract infection
- Allergic rash or reaction
- Hair Loss
Interactive Xarelto Side Effects
When you take aspirin or other drugs that may contain aspirin like Alka Seltzer, Bayer, Excedrin or Pepto-Bismol, it may considerably reduce the ability of the blood system to form clots. Other interactive drugs that may cause problems when taken with Xarelto are NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) like Ibuprofen, Celecoxib and Diclofenac. Other products that may have a negative interaction with Xarelto are Mifepristone and Enoxaparin. Anti-depressants like Fluoxetine and Venlafaxine should be avoided. You also have to be careful with HIV inhibitors like Ritonavir.
Your physician may have prescribed Xarelto after judging that its benefits to you may be higher than the risk that prevails with Xarelto side effects. Very few people have been reported of suffering with severe side effects after taking Xarelto. You have to remember that it is difficult to find medicines that can reverse Xarelto side effects when you start to bleed excessively, internally. You have to seek medical help without delay if you are experiencing signs of some severe bleeding that affect changes in your vision, bringing in confusion and slurred speech.